Christ-Centered Christmas Fun! Shepherd’s Night
For five or so years my family and I have been celebrating Shepherd’s Night at our church. It started off at our house (with a fire in the fire place) and as the multitude of angels grew, we moved to our church. It is great Christ-centered Christmas fun! We dress up in “Nativity” costumes, make a fake fire, sing Christmas carols, tell the Christmas story, drink hot chocolate and eat some-mores.
- Invite people…invite the whole church!
- Compile words for the Christmas Carols you intend to sing
- Provide as many extra costumes as you can (bath robes, towels and strips of cloth)
- Create the fake fire
- Dress up as an angel, shepherd, star, or animal
- Make the some-mores in the oven
- Make the hot chocolate (We add a separate non dairy version.)
- Program: tell the story from Luke, sing carols, eat and socialize
- Clean up with help hopefully
Some-more Recipe (baked in the oven)
- 2 packs of large marshmallows
- 10-12 chocolate candy bars (1-2 dark chocolate bars, non dairy)
- 2 boxes of graham crackers
Spread tin foil over cookie sheets. Lay 1/2 graham crackers on flat on the sheets. (make 1 layer of them) Place 2 sections of chocolate bar on each graham cracker. Place 1 large marshmallow on top of the chocolate sections. Bake for 3 min. on low broil, until marshmallows are golden brown. (Your oven may be different so watch them carefully.) Immediately after they come out sightly push the top of the other 1/2 of graham cracker on each marshmallow bundle. Serve Immediately and enjoy!
Dairy free Hot Chocolate
You can buy chocolate soy milk. But I recommend chocolate almond milk. Sorry if you live on the east coast, it will be hard enough to find soy milk. I’m not sure you will find almond milk.